Pages

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Your slip is showing - Humour

Once upon a time there was a king and one day into his court walked in a man who was almost blind and looked quite frail. He wanted an audience with the king and as the king was in a good mood he relented. He asked the king

“Lord will you give me a job in your court?”

The king was flabbergasted. He asked him,

“What is that you have that makes you worthy of my court?”

‘My lord I can touch anything and anybody and judge its worth”

“Ha! I don’t need anybody’s help to make such judgements. I am the king and I know what to do. But I am in a good mood today and I am allowing you to stay in the barracks. You can have rice and lentils every day.”

After that, the king just forgot about the whole incident. Our blind friend was not asked for any advice. Days went by. One day a merchant came to the king’s court. He had a magnificent horse to sell. The horse looked royal and trotted with majesty. The king couldn’t take his eyes off and was willing to pay anything to buy it. Then the minister reminded the king.

“Let us ask the blind man what he thinks.”

The blind man was summoned. He touched the horse. Then he commented.

“Lord, this horse is majestic. But he has a major flaw. Take him for a long ride. He won’t last”

The horse was taken for a long ride and the blind man was proved right. The King was happy. He ordered that the blind man be treated to a feast.

Time went by. Then one day a jeweller came to the king’s court. He had some exquisite jewellery. The king was almost ready to pay the ridiculous price the trader demanded. However, the minister again suggested that the blind man be called.

He came, touched and commented.

“Look at this angle, you can notice a blemish”.

Again the King saved lots of money. He ordered that the blind man be treated to a great meal again.

Then the king had a wild thought. He turned to the blind man and asked.

“Touch me and tell me what my worth is”

“I don’t need to touch you Lord. You are son of a cook”

“What nonsense!!!” The king roared. “Don’t you know I am the king?”

“ Yes my lord, I know you are the king”

The king called him into his anteroom and confided.

“Yes, I am really the son the cook at the queen mother’s father’s court. I was adopted by the king when the king lost his son. But then how did you know? It was a well kept secret”

“Don’t feel offended my lord. Your actions revealed your worth. When I first came and offered my services, you could not even appreciate what I could do for you. Then it was just your whim that you agreed to call me for opinion when the horse trader and the jeweller visited you; that too on the advice of the minister. I saved you lot of money. But what you offered me in return was more food!”

“You never could recognise what difference my skills could make to your life. You are so full of yourself. Your response showed lack of depth in your thinking and vision; you had to be the son of the cook. Even though you have reached the position of a king, you have not managed to shake out your insecurities and rise up in your stature to match your position. In your heart you are still the son of a cook.” (आप तो बावर्ची के बेटे हो l आपकी औकात इतनी ही है )

This is a story narrated by one of my friends. Learning from the story?

We may often come across actions that are totally irrational, irresponsible or just plain stupid. Action by people who have not matured in their thinking, their vision, their ability to appreciate the way the world around them is changing, the way the business and governance is being transformed and the way the customer expectations are metamorphosing.

What are our options?

i) Tolerate them; They may not mean any harm; it is just that they are not capable of anything better. Don’t fret! Learn to deal with these bozos. There are lots of them around. This learning may be critical for a healthy heart and a sane mind.

ii) Contain them: When we have to assign people to critical positions, spend some effort to assess whether they are capable to assume the responsibility. Great cooks don’t make great kings.

iii) Work around them: Sometime they may become big stumbling blocks. Rational discussions won’t cut ice with them. You have to have strategies to work around them.

Do read “Hitchhiker’s guide to corporate galaxy Part 1 and Part 2 for survival kit.

“Just like swine disdains pearls and asses prefer thistles, so is eloquence wasted upon the ignorant and culture unavailing to the uncouth” Unknown

3 comments:

  1. This is a interesting conclusion laced with humour and sattire. I guess this line of thought if practised allows a more rational 180/360 degree analysis of people around us. In the end i think we are at more peace with ourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Har Shakh Pe Ulloo Baitha Hai,
    Anjame Gulistan Kya Hoga

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is more to that sher. In its complete form it seems more appropriate:

    Barbad gulistan karne ko,
    Bas ek hi ulloo kafi hai,
    Har shakh pe ulloo baitha ho,
    to anjame gulistan kya hoga:)

    ReplyDelete