Pages

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Soul for Sale

Last week I had a chance to spend few hours with an elderly gentleman and his wife. He is more than 70, still tall and handsome with an extremely winsome smile and an unending repertoire of jokes that he could crack at opportune moments. His wife who is above 60 is full of charm that made it abundantly clear that age can never quite conquer her spirit.

I was able to nudge him into telling his story which turned out to be so captivating that I even forgot to refill my glass.

“I have been always a lucky man” he started off.

“Being the youngest in a big family I enjoyed lot of love and affection and I learned to cherish and value them at a young age though it broke the bread to smaller helpings”

“My father was not a rich man, but with his powerful personality he was able to imbibe in me a strong sense of right and wrong and compassion for fellow living beings”

“When I finished my graduation, I came over to this big city of Mumbai in search of a job. After I finished my interview and was walking along, I saw the board of this professional institution and I decided to walk-in and enquire”

“As luck would have it, the guy whom I started to talk was from my native state and he explained to me everything about how to apply for an admission.”

“I tried hard and got myself an admission; the only problem was how to fund my studies.”

“But I was lucky to get some part time job that I could do before I went to school and after I finished my school”

“Then I started my practice and I realised that one of the key essentials for making lots of money was the skill to fix deals with the various approving authorities”

“I had decided in my life that I will never pay a single penny as bribe even to a policeman on the street”

“For me success was not making lots of money; but making sufficient money and a having a sound sleep”

“I did not have too many needs and I had a wonderful wife who was totally undemanding and utterly dependable”

He looked at his wife and the smile they exchanged had the same intensity of affection that one would sometimes see in a newlywed couple.

“I got many assignments where I could perform without greasing palms”

“I was even an active member of Rotary and even it’s President. I might have been the only member who came for the meeting in a bus as I could not afford a car. I did not find it any demeaning and my many of my fellow members were willing to accept me for what I am worth as a human being”

“When I got two adorable children, my wife left the job she had, to give them a home though the budget did get tighter”

“I have always been quite lucky. Couple of weeks back, with no apparent reason I went for a medical check up and was diagnosed with cancer. It is one of the least harmful varieties and it appears that it is in quite an early stage”

I have narrated only excerpts of his story. I realised that he was not particularly lucky or unlucky. There was nothing unusual or extraordinary about his story. It is just that he was clear in his mind about his priorities, what he considered as success and the price he was willing to pay. He had the usual mix of sorrow and happiness, moments of stress and moments of exhilaration that all of us experience. What made the difference was the equanimity with which he took it all. Looking for the brighter side to be content and lighter side to laugh, looking for opportunities to extend a helping hand. I think this richness of spirit that ran through his life was what made it a spellbinding story; more exciting than the dizzying heights of prominence his son has achieved!

Take a look at the madness that goes around. The definitions of success, lies we are willing to perpetuate and the games we play; Aadarsh housing society, Common Wealth Games, financial skulduggery of our bankers, weapons of mass destruction, unending conflicts at Palestine, WorldCom, Enron, Anderson and Satyam, 9-11, 26-11 the list goes on. We have no qualms in selling our souls for 30 pieces of silver.

For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul? Bible

6 comments:

  1. Beautifully articulated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! a thought that should always stay with us as we try to go higher and higher in the corporate ladder.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. but in today's materialistic world this is a laughing matter

    Ramanan

    ReplyDelete
  4. i often wonder how can these people sleep peacefully while doing such scandals... i mean they must understand wrong right...but what makes them do such things...

    Maybe power fame money is all they care about, maybe its their priority...

    it would have been so easy if success was a simple defination

    My Last Post- The Halt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really the understanding about life of your protagonist is praise worthy. Actually with his equanimity he had severed all ties with unhappiness so he was always content.

    ReplyDelete