Pages

Monday, November 29, 2010

100th Milestone Part II - Learning

Continued from last week.. My experience in blogging

My enterprise of writing a weekly blog has helped me enormously. Most importantly it taught me the meaning of the quote “If there is a will there is a way”

It has also taught me the discipline of thinking through issues and doing some research. Normally many thoughts and ideas drift through our mind. But when I sit down to consolidate my thoughts as a post, it helps me to focus and get a better hang on the related issues, it questions some of my assumptions and it forces me to take a position which I am not afraid to share.

Some of what I write are original. Some are new ways of presenting an idea or thought, some are sharing of experience and some are remixes of interesting stuff. The postings I like best are based on my experience. They also frustrate me the most, because it is quite an arduous task to remove the characters and the context to distil the learning. Nevertheless, it is fun. There are of course occasions when I long to reproduce the incidences and the context in ‘as is’ format, which would have been much more hilarious. But then my good senses prevail and I postpone them for my post retirement entertainment :-)

I realized that taking a position in public (not in front of a few people whom we know) is scary for many reasons.

(i) When I articulate my stand in a few written words, it may not succeed in communicating what I meant. (may be my failure in communication)
(ii) As I try layered writing which helps the reader find a meaning in their context, sometimes some people read a meaning that I never imagined. Especially some creative minds may work overtime in coming out with divergent interpretations
(iii) Sometimes the underlying meaning touch some sensitive heart (especially if is perceived to be rubbing them the wrong way) and could bring about a violent reaction. This is specially the case when I write about public policy or governance.

I have realized that these are the risks I should I accept if I decide to publish my thoughts. But I do believe that it is the right of every reader to interpret anything that he reads and to react or respond as he chooses. I cannot and should not complain..Like Voltaire remarked " I don't agree with what he says; but I will defend to death his right to say so"

Writing my blog has been an enriching experience because it improves my articulation, the feedback I get from smart people extends my horizon of learning, it gives me an idea of how different people react to the same stuff and most importantly it forces me to think.

After every posting I am filled with trepidation on how it is going to be received. How many people will read it and how many will like it. The tracker tells me that on an average there are 150 to 200 clicks for each of my posts which come from all over the world. Half the readers are from India and another quarter from US. I get readers from UK, Denmark, Korea, China, Australia, Italy, Singapore, Hong Kong, Germany, Austria and so on. It really makes me feel good and encourages me to continue with my initiative.

Another great benefit of this venture is that it has helped me to be aware and familiar with the new options evolving in communication technologies and social media. I look at the new blog features, figure out new gadgets to be attached, experiment with social media and viral marketing options. It has also given me lots of new friends who are willing to share their ideas.

Some of my friends who have been reading my posts on a regular basis have been nudging me to consolidate all my blogs to a book. The idea excites me. Two things are holding me back. (i) I am scared (ii) I seem to have very little time to take up this project. But now I feel confident to take a public position again. This confidence arises from the partnership that has been promised by one of my old time friends Sankarankutty, who is well read, has a good writing style and has a sophisticated taste for artistic expression; complementing what I have and don't have.

As most things about life this too is a journey...

There are high spots in all of our lives and most of them have come about through encouragement from someone else. I don't care how great, how famous or successful a man or woman may be, each hungers for applause. - GEORGE MATTHEW ADAMS

3 comments:

  1. That was a very lucid description of one's innermost feelings about one's interests, in this case blogging. All the best for your forthcoming book (I know i am jumping the gun, but then when it comes out, I would have been the first to congratulate you, see?) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. when you are true to yourself and speak your heart out it touches other's soul as well. congratulations! Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clap clap clap.....Very well said. The quality of the posts shows that the topics are clearly thought through and that they are very well researched. Another good thing is the variety. but the best part is the quotes. they are positively brilliant and apt for the topic. shows the thoroughness. looking forward eagerly to your book. All the best.

    ReplyDelete