Pages

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Grounds for optimism

On Election Day I had written in my blog how I am feeling optimistic about the increased participation of the common man in political process; particularly the educated middle class who had gradually moved away from taking any interest in this. Later when we saw the polling percentage even this year to be not any better, many of my friends came back and questioned me on the grounds of my optimism.

So what did I see?

Did I believe that seeing the King Khans and the Queens, the third page celebrities, showing their black dotted (middle) finger the common man has decided to emulate them in mass?
Did I believe that suddenly the political parties have decided to change the profile of its candidates to have less of goons and more of leaders?

Did I believe that the educated middle class suddenly decided to be less selfish and make a difference in exercising their electoral choice?

I am too old to believe in fairy tales.

Then what do I believe? What is the ground for my optimism?

I notice that the there appears to be little more active interest among the alienated segment of the society in politics and governance.

There are a few more people, who otherwise kept away, willing to jump into the fray.

The better communication tools of emails, sms and blogs are making the process of dialogue a little more easy and a lot less time consuming.

This is enabling some more of public participation.

As Amartya Sen noted “Balloting can be seen only one of the ways- albeit a very important way – to make public discussions effective, when the opportunity to vote is combined with the opportunity to speak and listen, without fear. The reach – and effectiveness – of voting depend critically on the opportunity for open public discussion.”

My grounds for optimism is based on the increasing level of meaningful public debate and participation and how the technology plays a role in improving this process and in bringing in more transparency and more efficiency.

I am hopeful this will answer the prayer of Tagore “ Into that heaven of freedom , my father, let me country awake”

This is also an appeal to my fellows who are still remaining to be just onlookers to join and strengthen the voice of reason. Unless we are willing to participate in giving our views more voice, unless we demand and not resign to fate, unless we build up systems that bring better transparency we have no right to complain.

As Mahatma Gandhi said “We must become the change we want to seen in this world”

2 comments:

  1. well wrtten!keep it up.BTW did u vote

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is going to be a massively hung parliament if exit polls are anything to go by. That means the Congress cannot push thru any decent policies when you have regional politicians like Amma to please.

    Cant quite share the optimistic feeling!

    ReplyDelete